Saturday, July 26, 2008

Untitled

The Banana is still struggling with housebreaking. She's found a spot closer to the deck that she'll use, but we have to watch her like a hawk in the house. Ledcat is pursuing the small dog obedience class so we can get some guidance.

Last night, I gave the boys and the Banana one of those giant dog treat stuffed bones ... it was almost as long as her torse. They all chowed down. She couldn't lift it, but once I set it on the ground she was ready to chow down. Xander finished his first and sat watching her. I guess he hoped she could give up and go away. Ha. Every once in awhile she would curl her lip at him and keep on chomping. He never touched it. Deus recognized a lost cause and went to sleep. Xander continued to eye her hopefully. When I took the unfinished portion off her, he licked her clean and then mopped up the crumbs from the dog bed. She enjoyed the grooming. THen all three dogs laid down near the mantle with the Holy Grail, willing it to spontaneously roll off in their direction. Hysterical.

Dog training is going well. I've been practicing my watch command and both boys have it down. They are very good on sit, down and have been doing well with "walk away" when our neighbor's dog comes out. Our trainer is right -- they do much better when we give them something interesting to follow (walk away and get a treat) than when we insist, fruitlessly, that they come to us and stop getting to look at the yummy dogs in the next yard.

We missed class this week because of babysitting duties. They did recalls on long leashes but we'll catch up next week. I'm almost ready to do some neighborhood walking with them. I'm still nervous. We'll see what happens. I might get inspired.

No comments: