Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Vet Disappointment: Allegheny Veterinary Associates

I cannot describe how bummed I am by my (former) veterinary practice. I called to request an appointment for the weekend and was informed that -- once again -- they are shutting down for an entire three day weekend. To celebrate one day of holiday. Which is on a Friday.

This happens all the time. Well, all the time there is a weekendish holiday. Memorial Day Monday? Let's close on Friday AND Saturday, too.

I'm all for employee restfulness, but I can't wrap my brain around a vet practice that closes during the very times that are best for people who have pets to get services. Close on the holiday, for sure. But the day after the holiday?

It must be nice to be in such robust vet fitness that you can turn away a client.

I was pretty upset. Why? Because one of these surprise 5 day weekends came at the expense of Mona's chemotherapy appointment. She had her treatments on Fridays and I adjusted my work schedule to manage it. Then one day I get a call from the vet tech informing me that they are closing on Friday AND Saturday that week so my chemo appointment gets postponed to Tuesday.

In a post-Mona era, I can't help but wonder if she had kept her original appointment ... well, if she would have been with me for another day or another week. Would I have had the chance to hold and kiss her a little bit longer? I'll never know.

And I probably wouldn't wonder if the vet office wasn't closing for every major and minor national and state holiday. At what point does it cross a line?

My favorite is that I asked for a referral to another vet and the TECH called me to tell me that they don't know anyone well enough to make a referral. The vet never called. I spent thousands of dollars and wept millions of tears in that office and they can't even give me the name of another vet. It was like being bitch slapped. I guess once the American Express payment comes through, the personal touch isn't important.

So how do you find a new vet? I always asked John and he's dead. He's the one who told me to trust this particular vet -- she's the best is what he said to me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miss Mona,

Sounds like your upset the vet had a day off. I would like to know if your primary care physician's office was open that weekend or your dentist, optometrist, or even your auto repair shop? I bet you find your doctor and dentist are the golf course waaaay more than your vet. So in your mind a veterinarian should never take a weekend off not to mention a 3 day weekend or possibly vacation? Come on...even these people must get a few days off now and then. You do know there are several emegency vet clinics open 24 hours a day 7 days week should need a vet when yours is having a deserved day off. Good luck finding a vet that works every day you happen to want.
Oh and by the way be very careful about posting unstubstantiated rants on public domains...they can come back to you.

becky said...

It sounds like you are a VERY depressed individual. You better never fire your shrink. Actually maybe you should hire another one, because it seems like this one isn't helipng you much.

Sue said...

In response to thinly veiled threat that AVA will retaliate for my "unsubstantiated rants", I suggest you reconsider that statement.

It would not be difficult to substantiate that the office has closed for five day weekends on multiple occasions. There are at least four employees, two vets, and scores of clients. Surely, a skilled investigator could get the true story from amongst all of those people -- you can't hid being closed for five days. I personally can identify at least one independent person who has publicly commented on her surprise that they closed on the Friday and Saturday before Memorial Day, in addition to the holiday.

Second, it would be even easier to prove that they closed and forced me to reschedule a chemo appointment by simply asking the chemo vet. I doubt he would lie and I'm sure he has records.

You are free to express your opinions and hide behind anonymous names (even though the IP addresses are traceable). That's part of protected speech, too.

I just wanted to clarify that while it may be a rant, it is not unsubstantiable.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you said anything unfair. I have been surprised at how frequently they are closed. We also had an experience where they called us to reschedule an appointment so they could take a day off. I was annoyed because I felt forced to rearrange my schedule so they could have a day off. It is one thing to take a long weekend for a holiday, but taking four or five day weekends throughout the year makes it hard for your customers to plan. The second time they closed on a Friday and Monday for a holiday weekend, I changed vets.

The comment about you needing a shrink sounds like a plant from one of their employees which is even more disappointing. The other comment sounds like they must know you, Miss Mona, because why else would they say "You do know there are several emergency clinics"

Who else would care enough to get their knickers in a knot over your opinion? I don't see anyone posting positive experiences about this clinic. People on the dog lists don't have anything very impressive to say about this vet.

These comments just reinforce my sense that this is not a very professionally run business. If that suits their needs, fine. But sending their employees to post nasty comments is very transparent. The clinic owners should have called you and tried to address your concerns. That is how my company operates, we try to work with customers to make sure they are satisfied with the services we provide. We certainly don't post nasty comments on websites. My boss would be appalled if someone's best defense of our services was to make slurs and threaten legal action.

You have every right to be angry, especially if they delayed chemotherapy. I am going to send this link to my friends.

Miranda Smith

Anonymous said...

Wow. Who sends there staff to post anonymous comments? That's pretty pathetic. I've been to this clinic. The staff are very nice, but never really busy compared to other vet clinics. I had the impression this is more of a hobby job than a real business. If that is the case, closing for four or five day weekends isn't surprising.

The comment about the doctor and dentist and the golf course makes me wonder if the vets posted this comment? That sounds pretty arrogant and not something a vet tech or receptionist would write.

These vets owe Miss Mona an apology for cancelling a chemo appointment. I sure won't patronize a business that does that.

Jane Ann

Anonymous said...

Looking for best western boots you can find it here,just simple drop a click.