Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The First

On May 17, 2007, my dog Mona was diagnosed with canine lymphoma. Her age is approximately 11. She immediately began a round of chemotherapy which she tolerated well and went into remission almost the first week. We also changed her to a very low carbohydrate diet.

Six months later, she is out of remission. So began round two of chemotherapy this past Friday. Her lymph nodes shrank within 24 hours. And I've bolstered her diet with more fresh fruits and veggies, as well as some more dairy in her daily snacks

The sad truth is that she will probably not survive 2008. As we revelled last night down on Penn Avenue, I had pangs about trying to capture her last year and give her death some context. I'm not a photographer or a scrapbooker, but I do blog. So here is Mona's blog.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great idea, Sue. I'm sending you and Mona good energy.

Sue said...

Thanks! My trainer Debby insists that I think positive. Mona is so "normal" that it is easy to think positive at this point.

I'll have to walk her down your way one day so you can give her some pets.

Ehrrin said...

Sue, I second what Sandra said--sending you both all good thoughts and energy. Mona is really lucky to have found a friend in you. I know how hard it is when a pet is sick, and how heartbreaking it can be to be unable to explain what's going on to them. I have a good feeling about Mona. She's a tough (gluten-free, low-carb) cookie!