Friday, January 25, 2008

CELEBRATE

Mona gained almost 4 lbs in two weeks! Yahoo. She had dropped half a pound prior to that, so I've been feeding her a lot of good stuff to keep her appetite stimulated (and keep her busy during the day).

I was so happy. I've been down and out the past few days. Deus was sick on Weds, Mona got sick early this morning. Nothing like dog vomit in the bedroom to start your days off right. Then I got the call from the vet that the chemo doctor was there and I needed to get there ASAP. Thankfully, to day I felt well enough to shower and put on fresh clothing. I gave Mona a treat to keep her busy and she promptly dropped it into the little space between the seat and the door. Then, she whined piteously for me to stop and retrieve it for her. Ha.

So the good news about her weight and the vet's pronouncement that she's in full remission makes me very happy. My retrieval of her bone made Miss Mona very happy. She'll probably spend the rest of the day asleep which is okay with me.

Ledcat told me this morning that it bothers her when I make droll comments about Mona's impending death. I don't want to upset her so I'll try to stop. But sometimes dark humor helps me cope. Last night, I was dragging her away from the cat food and said "You are dying and cat food won't help." Ledcat thought that was unnecessary. I can see her point of view, but it feels less horrid if I can make some jokes about it. Mind you, I'm doing everything possible to keep her alive -- chemo, lots of veggies and wholesome foods, lots of love and a real belief that she is going to battle this thing right to the end.

But there will be an end. And from all accounts, it won't be pretty or quiet or peaceful. She'll go downhill and I'll have to know when her quality of life is impaired beyond what's fair or decent. There's no objective measure to that and it scares me so.

It scares me, so ...

No comments: